Call For Family Nominations
The Host Committee of the 2019 Atlantic Breeders Crown will once again recognize Atlantic harness racing families for their long-term contribution to the industry.
One family meeting the criteria will be selected from each of Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Awards sponsored by the Province of Prince Edward Island will be presented as part of the Atlantic Breeders Crown Banquet on Saturday, October 12, 2019 at the Top Of The Park, Red Shores Charlottetown.
The harness racing industry and general public are invited to submit nominations to the Evaluation Committees in each province for consideration for recognition. Nominations should be in written form, and detail how the nominated family meet the suggested criteria:
- Fifty years of family involvement in Atlantic Harness Racing
- At least one family member still active in the industry in some capacity
- Achievements on an Atlantic /Canadian scale as a breeder, owner, trainer, driver or builder
- Public recognition for outstanding contribution to Atlantic Harness Racing – i.e. National or Provincial Halls of Fame)
- Success in major Atlantic Canadian races – i.e. track records, stakes or invitational wins, significant milestones,(i.e wins) etc. or prolific success of several family members
- Longevity of success of family member(s)
The Evaluation Committees reserve the right to submit nominations as well. Nominations are due by September 16, 2019.
The evaluation committees, which have been established in each province, will select one family per Atlantic province to be honoured. Since its initiation in 2001, the following families have been recognized:
From New Brunswick
The Alexander, Armstrong, Barrieau, Breau, Bishop, Doherty, Cerdic Downey and Milton Downey families, Goguen, Goodine, Irving, Jones, MacDonald, Mahar, Nicholson, Queen, Stevenson and Trites families
From Nova Scotia
The Daniels, Davis, Ferguson, Getto, Gillis, Haley, MacLeod, MacDonnell, MacKinnon, MacQuarrie, Pinkney, Polley, Rankin, Ratchford, Smith, Whebby and Wilson families
From Prince Edward Island
The Andrew, Annear, Arsenault, Bernard, Chappell, Hennessey, Kelly, Mike and Paul MacDonald, MacGregor, MacPhee, O’Brien, Pineau, Poulton, Smallwood, Cyril Smith, Don and Ian Smith, Whelan and Willis families.
Cliff Garland, Dennis Gallway, and the Deering, Dillon, Dooling, Downing, Forward, McDonald, Oliver, Pack, Sheppard and Williams families.
Please forward nominations to:
Prince Edward Island
Jerry McCabe, ABC Host Committee
Robyn Crowe, Nova Scotia
Harness Racing Industry Association
President Sam Hodgin
Aubrey Williams, NHHOA
(Atlantic Breeders Crown)